Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Long Odds

How many million galaxies there are
Who knows? and each has countless stars in it
And each rolls through eternities afar
Beneath the threshold of the Infinite
How is it that with all that space to roam
I should have found this mote that spins and leaps
In what unutterable sunlight, foam
Of what unfathomable starry deeps
Who knows!? And how this thousand million souls
And half a thousand million souls of earth
That swarm, all bound for unimagined goals
All pioneers of death enrolled at birth
How were they swept away before my sight
That I might stand upon the single prick
Of infinite space and time as finite
Who knows? Yet here I stand, climacteric
Having found you. Was it by fall of chance?
Then what a stake against what odds I have won!
Was it determined in God’s ordinance?
Then wondrous love and pity for His son!
Or was it part of an eternal law?
Then how ineffably beneficent!
Each thought excites an ecstasy of awe,
A rapture rending the mind’s firmament
Infinity - yet you and I have met
Eternity - yet hand in hand we run
All odds that I should lose you or forget
But, soul and spirit and body, we are one
Is this the child of Chance, or Law, or Will?
Is None or All or One to thank for this?
It will not matter if thanksgiving fill
The endless empyrean with a kiss.