Sunday, June 6, 2010

King of the Rumbling Spires

Kissing his hair I sat against his feet
Wove and unwove it, wound and found it sweet
Made fast therewith his hands, drew down his eyes
Deep as deep and dreamy like dim skies
Sleep were no sweeter than his face to me
Sleep of cold sea-bloom under the cold sea
What pain could get between my face and his?
Kissing his hair
How we should slumber, how we should sleep
Far in the dark with the dreams and the dews
And dreaming, grow to each other, and weep
Laugh low, live softly, murmur and muse
Yea, and it may be, struck through by the dream
Feel the dust quicken and quiver, and seem
Alive as of old to the lips, and leap
Spirit to spirit as lovers use
My spirit or thine is it, breath of thy life or of mine
Which fills my sense with a rapture that casts out fear
Pan’s dim frown wanes, and his wild eyes brighten as thine
Transformed as night or as day by the kindling year
Earth-born, or mine eye were withered that sees, mine ear
That hears were stricken to death by the sense divine
Earth-born I know thee: but heaven is about me here
The terror that whispers in darkness and flames in light
The doubt that speaks in the silence of earth and sea
The sense, more fearful at noon than in midmost night
Of wrath scarce hushed and of imminent till to be
Where are they? Heaven is as earth, and as heaven to me
Earth: for the shadows that sundered them here take flight
And naught is all, as am I, but a dream of thee
Why is it now
That I come to you like a humble servant
Willing to feed you brilliant words and love
From my own sacred mouth and hands
Willing to say, “I am sorry, I am sorry for all your pain?”
Who wrote all the music you have been playing
Who wrote all your notes of sadness
But also etched and gave you
Every ecstatic wince of joy your face, body and heart has ever known
Okay my dear
You have stumbled enough in the earth’s sweet dance
You have paid all your dues
Many times
Now let’s get down to the real reason
Why we sit together and breathe
And begin the laughing, the divine laughing
Like great heroic women
And magnificent strong men